- nounan agency in the Department of Health and Human Services whose mission is to employ science in the pursuit of knowledge to improve human health; is the principal biomedical research agency of the federal government• Syn: ↑National Institutes of Health• Part Meronyms: ↑National Library of Medicine, ↑United States National Library of Medicine, ↑U.S. National Library of Medicine
* * *National Institutes of Health.
* * *NIH (US)abbrevNational Institutes of Health
* * *NIH (no periods),National Institutes of Health (of the United States).
* * *abbr. National Institutes of Health
* * *abbrNational Institutes of Health◇ In the U.S., the National Institutes of Health is a branch of government that pays doctors and scientists to do medical research.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.